Fall Table Runner…

Fall is in full swing and I finally have had time to have some me time and get my creative juices flowing!

I was at JoAnn’s Fabric store and was looking for fabric for the dog pillow I finished last week and came across a bundle of fall fat quarters and just couldn’t resist.  Further while there I found a pattern by Nancy Dill called “Stack Four Table Runner” which only required 4 fat quarters.  I was really excited to try this pattern out.

The pattern was identified as a beginner level and I would say that was accurate.  It took me approximately 2 hours to cut and sew the pattern together.  The pieces make either 1 table runner using the faces as a reversible runner or you could make 2 runners with a plain backing, which is what I did.  I also put my 2 squares together a little differently than the pattern, because I could 🙂


What I liked most about this pattern is that there are so many different sizes put together that it almost looks like some kind of piece wise work?  There is a little pattern amongst the completed project, but so fun!


My project ended up being 13″ by 31″ it should have been 14″ by 36″ so somehow along the lines of sewing and trimming for each step I shrunk it… I’m by no means an expert, but with each project my self confidence is boosted and my projects continually get better.  I have to keep reminding myself that I have learned all this by self teaching.


During this project I tried two new techniques using clear thread to “quilt” the top and basting spray to layer my pieces together.


I have to say I fell in love with the clear thread as it hides mistakes a little bit more.  In the photo above you can hardly see where I had sewed in the ditch.  Further I had seen many different tutorials that utilized basting spray and I wanted to give it a try.  It was a little difficult to figure out how to put the layers together, flattened and lined up.  With patience I got it to work.  I then began pinn no all over as normal, bug mistake!  I should have just left the basting spray to do its job.  I did one line and was starting to get bunches so, took the pins out and what a world of differenc!  I’m glad I gave both the new techniques a try during this project!


Now, onto finishing the other table runner!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Wedding

Wedding DaySeptember 1st, 2012
Our Wedding Day!

Categories

%d bloggers like this: